What A Minor Dwelling Is And Where You Can Build One In Auckland

πŸ‘‡ Download Our FREE E-book, Checklist & 65m2 Floor Plan πŸ‘‡

What A Minor Dwelling Is And Where You Can Build One In Auckland

Download Our FREE E-book

πŸ‘‡ Checklist & 65m2 Floor Plan πŸ‘‡

Free Minor Dweling E-Book
Minor Dwelling Build Costing Checklist
Minor Dwelling 65m2 Floor Plan

Changes to Auckland Unitary Plan make it Easier to Build a Minor Dwelling

With the recent changes to the Auckland Unitary Plan property development is now being encouraged, especially around public transport routes. Previous requirements and restrictions have been significantly relaxed which has increased the possibility of adding that extra unit or minor dwelling.

Auckland Transport Bus

Extra dwellings could be used for a number of options including rental unit, Air B’n’B, or flat etc. It could even be subdivided off and sold as a stand-alone house giving you a sizable return on your investment.

Air BnB Rental

Even if there are stormwater or sewer pipes running through your property these can be piled around and built over. We have done a number of builds over council and Watercare pipes as the additional cost for this is significantly outweighed by the finished value of the extra dwelling when built.

Bridging over public stormwater pipe

πŸ‘‡ Watch Our Video Clip Below πŸ‘‡

πŸ‘‡ Watch Our Video Clip Below πŸ‘‡

Budgeting Costs to Consider

There are a considerable number of requirements and associated costs that need to be sorted out up front before building work can begin. Don’t be fooled by some of the so-called cheap prices being banded around in the media about minor dwellings being as cheap as $69,000. That price was excluding GST and was for materials only. It didn’t include builder’s labour, plumbing, electrical or any of the following costs that may be required:

πŸ‘‰ Concept and Working Drawings by an Architectural Designer

πŸ‘‰ Site topographical/contour survey and marking boundaries by a registered surveyor

πŸ‘‰ Geotech Engineering often required for foundation works

πŸ‘‰ A Structural Engineer that may be required for specific structural design of foundations or bracing etc

πŸ‘‰ Sometimes a Town Planner may be required and can be engaged to work through the Resource Consent process if necessary

πŸ‘‰ Building Consent fees

πŸ‘‰ There are a number of reasons why a Resource Consent my be required – Building in a Flood Plain, Height to boundary infringement or working through a council Overlay e.g. a Historic Heritage Area etc

πŸ‘‰ Some sites require a Flood Report and specific foundation design if they are in a Flood Plain or have an Overland Flow Path on the site

πŸ‘‰ Council Development Contributions are also required for adding additional dwellings

πŸ‘‰ Most sites these days also require retention tanks for stormwater mitigation to stop flooding in the streets

Other costs to consider could be the following:

πŸ‘‰ Services connections like power, water, stormwater, sewer and fibre etc. If the property is subdividable it may pay to put in new connections rather than connecting to the existing main house services

πŸ‘‰ Landscaping and retaining walls

πŸ‘‰ Driveways, decks and fences

Generally you will need a budget starting from a minium of $250K and it will depend on what is actually required for your site, the spec and level of finish you want and the actual size and design of your proposed build.

πŸ‘‡ Download Our FREE E-book, Checklist & 65m2 Floor Plan πŸ‘‡

Download Our FREE E-book

πŸ‘‡ Checklist & 65m2 Floor Plan πŸ‘‡

Minor Dwelling E-Book
Minor Dwelling Cosings Checklist
Riverhaven Minor Dweling 65m2 Floor Plan

Goldline Construction Limited Β© 2022 All Rights Reserved

PO Box 302336 North Harbour, Auckland 0751